Frequently asked questions:

Do I require a working with children check?

If you are over the age of 18 and working with someone under the age of 18 in a paid, self-employed or voluntary role, it is a legal requirement to hold a working with children check.

Common situations that require a working with children check include child-care, tutoring, sports coaching, dance coaching, teaching, volunteering in a church or community group, mentoring and many more.

Some states have certain exemptions – such as being a qualified teacher in QLD, but most states have a blanket requirement for the check.

I am 17, can I get a working with children check?

This varies state to state, so check the requirements in your state or territory.

In most cases, you can not obtain it until you are 18.

I have an old working with children check, can I just renew that one?

In most states, the Working with children check is valid for 5 years. Once it expires, it must be applied for again as a new application.

I do both volunteer and paid work with children; does my volunteer WWCC cover me?

If you receive any sort of monetary benefit, you will require a WWCC that is valid for paid work or self-employment.

In some states you can roll a volunteer WWCC into a paid WWCC by paying the fee – please consult your state or territory office.